Below is a list of questions and answers to the most commonly asked questions on the BeamNG forums. Please refer to this list before creating a topic to ask your question.
We encourage you to help us expand this FAQ list by asking and answering community questions. Please feel free to correct errors or add new FAQs as you go along!
- 1 I got an error on starting BeamNG: The program can't start because X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing from your computer.
- 2 Will the tech demo be updated?
- 3 Are you planning to include Mac support?
- 4 What button do I press to do 'x'?
- 5 Is multiplayer planned?
- 6 How can I play with multiseat?
- 7 My game is slow and laggy; any help?
- 8 My graphics settings won't save
- 9 How do I spawn an AI driver?
- 10 How do I change the color of my vehicles?
- 11 How do I enable force feedback for 'x' racing wheel?
- 12 I have NVIDIA Optimus, but BeamNG shows that it's using Intel graphics?
- 13 How do I spawn another vehicle that I can crash into?
- 14 How do I change the time of day?
- 15 I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?
- 16 How do I perform a clean reinstall?
- 17 A developer/support contact asked me to submit a 'Support Request'. How do I do that?
- 18 I can't view 'x' forum, it says I'm not logged in or don't have permission. How do I get around this?
- 19 The email I used to purchase BeamNG is different than the email on my forum account. How do I upgrade?
- 20 How do I install content I've downloaded from the forum?
- 21 How do I change the keyboard mapping?
- 22 'x' is broken, what do I do?
- 23 I play on a laptop, and the game runs fine for a while before suffering a sudden FPS drop that won't go away until I restart the game. What's wrong?
- 24 I already own BeamNG.drive, and plan on upgrading my system/buying a new PC. Will I need to buy a new copy?
I got an error on starting BeamNG: The program can't start because X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing from your computer.
This seems to be a common problem with Windows 8. Please try to reinstall DirectX from the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35&nowin10
Will the tech demo be updated?
An update to the current tech demo might not happen for the immediate future. However, if you want to get the latest updates, please consider buying into the alpha here!
Are you planning to include Mac support?
Currently we can only focus on the Windows platform and we cannot say whether or not we can support Mac in the future.
Open the Controls menu from the main or in-game menu (the game controller pad icon), and click the dropdowns to see keybindings. Make sure to also click "Show Advanced" to see more controls.
Otherwise, a full list of controls can be found on the Wiki: Playing
Is multiplayer planned?
Networked multiplayer wasn't originally planned. We are aware that it's a highly requested feature, but may be impossible or highly difficult to implement properly, given our physics engine complexity. We are keeping an eye on it, but no promises here.
Non-networked multiplayer is available, and is called "multiseat". See #How can I play with multiseat? answer below.
How can I play with multiseat?
Multiseat means several players seated in front of the same computer. Currently, each player must have its own controller connected to that computer.
- Scenarios: just open any multiseat scenario (they have an identifying icon), and each player can simply steer left/right in his controller to choose their vehicle.
- Freeroam: spawn several cars, then go to Options > Gameplay > enable Multiseat. When you are finished, disable Multiseat again.
My game is slow and laggy; any help?
If your graphics card and/or CPU is not powerful enough to run the game you can try the following to improve your frame rate:
- Disable SSAO (ambient occlusion), which may result in a ~50% Frames Per Second gain
- Lower lighting quality (shadows), which may result in a ~25% Frames Per Second gain
- For a last resort, select "lowest" lighting quality (shadows), which may result in a ~100% Frames Per Second gain
For more information, please visit this thread
My graphics settings won't save
Make sure that you exit the game properly. Settings won't save correctly if the game is forced to close by a crash. Open the game and set your graphics settings, then exit the game manually and your settings should automatically be saved for your next play.
How do I spawn an AI driver?
Refer to Enabling AI Controlled Vehicles to use the AI in-game.
How do I change the color of my vehicles?
Open the Vehicle Configuration Menu with CONTROL+W, then click on the "Color" tab. As of BeamNG.drive 0.5.0, the exterior paint will be the the first of the six color pickers in that tab.
How do I enable force feedback for 'x' racing wheel?
Open the Controls menu from the main or in-game menu (the game controller pad icon), and click the "Force Feedback" tab at the top. Make sure you have your wheel connected, then click "Enable Force Feedback".
For more detailed information, please visit the steering wheel setup page.
I have NVIDIA Optimus, but BeamNG shows that it's using Intel graphics?
The Intel graphics are shown in the options menu but the game is actually using the NVIDIA graphics. To check go to the NVIDIA control panel and press desktop, then press "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area". Check the icon in your tray and it should show that BeamNG is using NVIDIA graphics. If not, make sure you have set up BeamNG to use the NVIDIA graphics in the control panel.
How do I spawn another vehicle that I can crash into?
A tutorial on how to accomplish this can be found on the wiki: Spawning Vehicles (NOTE: While you can spawn additional vehicles in the tech-demo, they wont have physics behavior; buy the alpha to allow more vehicles)
How do I change the time of day?
There is a tutorial for this on the wiki: Changing Time of Day
I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?
Open Steam and go to your games library. Right click on the game and select properties, go to the "Local Files" tab and click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." button. Steam will download necessary replacement files if your game is altered or broken.
How do I perform a clean reinstall?
Follow these exact steps:
- Unistall BeamNG from Steam
- Delete BeamNG.Drive folder from MyDocuments (backup your mods if you want)
- Delete BeamnG.Drive folder from Steam/Steamapp/common (If there is still a folder)
- Reinstall BeamNG
A developer/support contact asked me to submit a 'Support Request'. How do I do that?
To submit a support report, do the following:
- Run BeamNG.drive game at least once, attempting to perform whatever it is you are having problems with, then close BeamNG.
- Run the BeamNG.driver launcher again, this time choose the "Support" option instead, and click on "Submit Information".
- You will be shown a support page with a Support ID number in it.
Tell the developer/support contact about this ID number, so he can access your support report.
I can't view 'x' forum, it says I'm not logged in or don't have permission. How do I get around this?
You need to have special credentials, such as being an administrator or moderator, to view certain areas of the Forums.
The email I used to purchase BeamNG is different than the email on my forum account. How do I upgrade?
Please refer to the following thread on how to resolve this issue and get your forum account upgraded: Email change Problems on Account upgrade
How do I install content I've downloaded from the forum?
Please refer to the following wiki page to learn how to install this content: Installing Mods
How do I change the keyboard mapping?
You can edit the bindings in-game via the Controls Menu.
'x' is broken, what do I do?
Try removing any mods that may be conflicting with official content. Also delete your cache or your whole Documents\BeamNG.drive folder.
If that doesn't work, then refer to I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?. Usually that will fix any issues. If that doesn't work either, then simply reinstall the game.
I play on a laptop, and the game runs fine for a while before suffering a sudden FPS drop that won't go away until I restart the game. What's wrong?
There is a chance your computer is throttling (slowing down) either your CPU or GPU to prevent them from overheating, or to save on power. First, you can try setting your power usage for the highest possible performance. If that doesn't solve the problem then you can disable throttling due to heat, although the process to do this varies by PC and by doing so you run the risk of damaging your system. Be absolutely sure that your computer is throttling one of your components before proceeding. Check online to see if other people with your model laptop have been able to do this successfully, and proceed with caution.
I already own BeamNG.drive, and plan on upgrading my system/buying a new PC. Will I need to buy a new copy?
No, BeamNG.drive is DRM free. You can install it from Steam as many times as you wish, on as many computers as you like.
Have something to add? Check out the FAQ thread...
Couldn't find the answer to your question here? Try...