Below is a list of questions and answers to the most commonly asked questions on the BeamNG forums. Please refer to this list before creating a topic to ask your question.
We encourage you to help us expand this FAQ list, feel free to correct errors or add new FAQs as you go along!
- 1 I got an error on starting it: The program can't start because X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing from your computer.
- 2 Will the techdemo be updated?
- 3 What about Mac support?
- 4 I bought the game and downloaded it, but it cannot open the file?
- 5 What button do I press to do 'x'?
- 6 How do I repair my car? How do I respawn my car? How do I change my car?
- 7 My game is slow and laggy
- 8 My Graphics settings won't save.
- 9 How do I spawn an AI driver?
- 10 How do I change the color of my vehicles?
- 11 How do I enable force feedback for 'x' racing wheel?
- 12 How do I get more linear steering and less input lag with my steering wheel?
- 13 I have Nvidia Optimus and BeamNG shows the Intel graphics?
- 14 How do I spawn another vehicle that I can crash into?
- 15 How to delete the added car?
- 16 BeamNG is running slowly even though I have set it to the lowest settings?
- 17 How do I change the time of day?
- 18 I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?
- 19 I can't view 'x' forum, it says I'm not logged in or don't have permission. How do I get around this?
- 20 The email I used to purchase BeamNG is different than the email on my forum account. How do I upgrade?
- 21 How do I install content I've downloaded from the forum?
- 22 How do I change the keyboard mapping?
- 23 'x' Textures are broken, what do I do?
- 24 I play on a laptop, and the game runs fine for a while before suffering a sudden FPS drop that won't go away until I restart the game. What's wrong?
- 25 I tried to run the updater but it is stuck right at the beginning
- 26 I already own BeamNG.drive, and plan on upgrading my system/buying a new PC. Will I need to buy a new copy?
I got an error on starting it: The program can't start because X3DAudio1_7.dll is missing from your computer.
This seems to be a common problem with windows 8. Please try to reinstall DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
Will the techdemo be updated?
The techdemo will not be updated for the immediate future. If you want to get the latest updates, please consider buying into the alpha here
What about Mac support?
Currently we only focus on the Windows platform and we cannot say if or when we will support Mac. However, forum user Zapology has successfully gotten BeamNG.drive running on Mac through Crossover, his tutorial can be found here.
I bought the game and downloaded it, but it cannot open the file?
We fixed this issue , so please download the file again. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Press F1 in the game.
Otherwise, a full list of controls can be found on the Wiki: Playing
How do I repair my car? How do I respawn my car? How do I change my car?
A full list of controls can be found on the Wiki: Playing
My game is slow and laggy
If your graphics card is not powerful enough to run the game you can try the following to improve your frame rate.
- Disable SSAO (ambient occlusion) ~50% FPS gain
- Lower lighting quality (shadows) up to ~25% FPS gain
- Last resort - "lowest" lighting quality (shadows) up to ~100% FPS gain
For more information visit this thread: http://www.beamng.com/threads/1546-Graphical-Performance-tweaks
My Graphics settings won't save.
Make sure that you exit the game properly. Settings won't save correctly if the game is forced to close by a crash. Open the game and set your graphics settings then exit the game manually and they should save.
How do I spawn an AI driver?
AI drivers are not implemented yet. Purchase Alpha access to get free updates. You can also replicate some basic movements of AI just by holding a key, and then switching to a different vehicle. The car will move differently depending on what key you held. (ex: Holding the "Forward" key will make the car move forward, then switching to a different vehicle will make the vehicle move without you having to hold the key.)
There is, however a hack that works for some in this thread: http://www.beamng.com/threads/2088-Enable-AI to enable AI. Make sure you make a backup before you do this.
How do I change the color of my vehicles?
There is a thread explaining a hack/mod to do this but there is no official option for that yet. Is it Possible To Change Vehicle Colors yet?
How do I enable force feedback for 'x' racing wheel?
Force Feedback has not been implemented yet but It is planned.
How do I get more linear steering and less input lag with my steering wheel?
Press Shift + B to disable dynamic steering.
I have Nvidia Optimus and BeamNG shows the Intel graphics?
The Intel graphics are shown in the options menu but the game is actually using the Nvidia graphics. To check go to the Nvidia control panel and press desktop, then press "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area", now check the icon in your tray and it should show that BeamNG is using the Nvidia graphics. If not make sure you have set up BeamNG to use the Nvidia graphics in the control panel.
How do I spawn another vehicle that I can crash into?
A tutorial on how to accomplish this can be found on the wiki: Spawning Vehicles (NOTE: While you can spawn additional vehicles in the tech-demo, they wont have physics behavior, buy the alpha to be allowed more vehicles)
How to delete the added car?
Open Editor (F11), in the "Scene Tree" enable "Scene" tab, find the desired car, press right mouse button and choose "Delete".
BeamNG is running slowly even though I have set it to the lowest settings?
Be sure to disable SSAO in the Post FX settings.
How do I change the time of day?
There is a tutorial for this on the wiki: Changing Time of Day
I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?
Run the BeamNG DRIVE Update. This will force an update and it will reset any modified files.
I can't view 'x' forum, it says I'm not logged in or don't have permission. How do I get around this?
The "DRIVE" boards, which include the mod showrooms, have their access restricted to people who have purchased the game. You must have a unique copy, as the link to upgrade your account is attached to your receipt/activation E-Mail, and can only be used on one account. The subject line of the E-Mail is "Your BeamNG Drive Alpha Test Access Delivery Information", and the link to upgrade your forum account is under the line that says "You can register or upgrade an existing forum account now:". If you have an existing forum account, clicking the link should upgrade it automatically, or if you do not have an existing forum account you will be prompted to create a new account.
The email I used to purchase BeamNG is different than the email on my forum account. How do I upgrade?
Please refer to the following thread on how to resolve this issue and get your forum account upgraded: Email change Problems on Account upgrade
How do I install content I've downloaded from the forum?
Please refer to the following wiki page to learn how to install this content: Installing Mods
How do I change the keyboard mapping?
The keyboard input map is located along with the other input maps at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\BeamNG\BeamNG-DRIVE-0.3\scripts\client\inputmaps\keyboard.inputmap
Open that file in notepad and edit it to your choosing.
'x' Textures are broken, what do I do?
You can try restarting the game. If that doesn't work, run the BeamNG DRIVE Updater, usually that will fix any texture issues, especially with tread-mark texture issues. Broken textures will be fixed eventually. Expect it from an Alpha Version.
I play on a laptop, and the game runs fine for a while before suffering a sudden FPS drop that won't go away until I restart the game. What's wrong?
There is a chance your computer is throttling (slowing down) either your CPU or GPU to prevent them from overheating, or to save on power. First, you can try setting your power usage for the highest possible performance. If that doesn't solve the problem then you can disable throttling due to heat, although the process to do this varies by PC and by doing so you run the risk of damaging your system. Be absolutely sure that your computer is throttling one of your components before proceeding. Check online to see if other people with your model laptop have been able to do this successfully, and proceed with caution.
I tried to run the updater but it is stuck right at the beginning
The update.exe seems to have problems when it is installed in a path that contains non-standard characters like äöüúš etc. Please try reinstalling the game to another path which does not contain such characters.
I already own BeamNG.drive, and plan on upgrading my system/buying a new PC. Will I need to buy a new copy?
No, BeamNG.drive is DRM free. Your serial code can be used as many times as you wish, on as many computers as you like.
Have something to add? Check out the FAQ thread...
Couldn't find the answer to your question here? Try...