Below is a list of questions and answers to the most commonly asked questions on the BeamNG forums. Please refer to this list before creating a topic to ask your question.
We encourage you to help us expand this FAQ list by asking and answering community questions. Please feel free to correct errors or add new FAQs as you go along!
- 1 When will you release the next update?
- 2 Are you planning to include Mac/Linux/Xbox/PlayStation support?
- 3 Is VR support planned?
- 4 Is multiplayer planned?
- 5 Is split screen mode planned?
- 6 Is Steam Workshop support planned?
- 7 How do I change the 'mods' folder location?
- 8 How can I play with multiseat?
- 9 Will the tech demo be updated?
- 10 My game is slow and laggy; any help?
- 11 Will you ever add this vehicle or map? / Please make this vehicle or map
- 12 The cars are hard to control / don't handle realistically / lack grip / have too much grip / etc. What's wrong?
- 13 What button do I press to do 'x'?
- 14 How do I spawn an AI driver?
- 15 How do I change the color of my vehicles?
- 16 How do I enable force feedback for 'x' racing wheel?
- 17 I have NVIDIA Optimus, but BeamNG shows that it's using Intel graphics?
- 18 How do I spawn another vehicle that I can crash into?
- 19 I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?
- 20 How do I perform a clean reinstall?
- 21 A developer/support contact asked me to submit a 'Support Request'. How do I do that?
- 22 I can't view 'x' forum, it says I'm not logged in or don't have permission. How do I get around this?
- 23 The email I used to purchase BeamNG is different than the email on my forum account. How do I upgrade?
- 24 How do I install content I've downloaded from the forum?
- 25 Does BeamNG.drive have an official Discord server?
- 26 'x' is broken, what do I do?
- 27 I play on a laptop, and the game runs fine for a while before suffering a sudden FPS drop that won't go away until I restart the game. What's wrong?
- 28 I already own BeamNG.drive, and plan on upgrading my system/buying a new PC. Will I need to buy a new copy?
- 29 What is Lavasoft? Why is the game warning me about it?
- 30 How can I change my forum username?
- 31 Can I monetize my YouTube video about BeamNG.Drive?
When will you release the next update?
"When it's ready".
Estimate dates are just that, estimates. However they are usually misinterpreted as guaranteed release dates.
For this reason we prefer to not announce anything until an update is already out, or in the process of being released (and even then, unforeseen problems can still cause delays).
Just sit tight and enjoy the current version, and check the mod repository if you want fresh content ;-)
Are you planning to include Mac/Linux/Xbox/PlayStation support?
Currently we can only focus on the Windows platform and we cannot say whether or not we will be able to support other platforms in the future.
Use of emulators, virtual machines and compatibility layers may or may not work. If it works for one specific version, it may or may not break in older or newer versions. We cannot provide assistance or support for these use cases. Users are free to try them, but only at their own risk.
Is VR support planned?
We would definitely love to provide Virtual Reality support, but it is not planned at the moment, and will likely not happen in the short term.
A proper VR implementation is not trivial: it requires architectural changes to our game engine, as well as great performance improvements if we hope to consistently hit the necessary minimum of 90 FPS on the recommended VR hardware specs (45 FPS in the case of Oculus Rift). Work on VR support cannot start before those issues are addressed.
Furthermore, BeamNG.drive is an Early Access title, so logically we have to direct our efforts at delivering the announced features, content and stability first.
Is multiplayer planned?
Networked multiplayer wasn't originally planned. We are aware that it's a highly requested feature, but it may be impossible or extremely difficult to implement properly, given our physics engine complexity. We are keeping an eye on it, but no promises here. It will most probably not happen in the short term.
Non-networked multiplayer is available, and is called "multiseat". See #How can I play with multiseat? answer.
Note: LAN multiplayer faces exactly the same fundamental problem as WAN multiplayer - it's still orders of magnitude slower than communication within a motherboard.
Is split screen mode planned?
Split screen would be a logical feature to complement the multiseat mode. Multiseat exists only because it was a low hanging fruit that could please users without too many weeks of development.
In contrast, split screen mode requires important changes to the graphics engine pipeline. We do not have the time to tackle that feature at this point of our Early Access development roadmap, and it is unlikely to happen in the short term.
As a compromise we've modified the "Orbit" camera behaviour, which will now keep multiple vehicles on screen when multiseat is enabled:
Is Steam Workshop support planned?
We provide our own Workshop alternative, directly integrated in-game, with automated mod update downloads and other features.
If you prefer, you can browse it online too: http://www.beamng.com/resources/
The motivation for using our own rather than Steam's offering is:
- We want to support those of you who didn't buy the game through Valve's platform. Non-Steam users also deserve the right to enjoy a good mod repository.
- Workshop does not allow for proper moderation and makes it harder for us to ensure mods are working correctly and won't break the game.
- Our mod repository allows us to easily help modders. Making modders' life easier means more and better mods.
- Our mod repository allows for both automatic and manual mod installation.
How do I change the 'mods' folder location?
You can change the 'userfolder' location by editing the startup.ini file located in the game's installation directory.
How can I play with multiseat?
Multiseat means several players seated in front of the same computer. Currently, each player must have its own controller connected to that computer.
- Scenarios: just open any multiseat scenario (they have an identifying icon), and each player can simply steer left/right in his controller to choose their vehicle.
- Freeroam: spawn several cars, then go to Options > Gameplay > enable Multiseat. When you are finished, disable Multiseat again.
Will the tech demo be updated?
An update to the current tech demo might not happen for the immediate future. However, if you want to get the latest updates, please consider buying into the alpha here!
My game is slow and laggy; any help?
If your graphics card and/or CPU is not powerful enough to run the game you can try the following to improve your frame rate:
- Disable SSAO (ambient occlusion), which may result in a ~50% Frames Per Second gain
- Lower lighting quality (shadows), which may result in a ~25% Frames Per Second gain
- For a last resort, select "lowest" lighting quality (shadows), which may result in a ~100% Frames Per Second gain
- If this is still not working, disable shadows to result in a ~75% to 150% fps gain, depending on the map.
For more information, please visit this thread
Will you ever add this vehicle or map? / Please make this vehicle or map
We get numerous requests for new content. All suggestions are taken into account, but ultimately we are an indie developer company without the resources to create the hundreds of vehicles and maps you all want.
Additionally, we don't want to reply with a simple "yes" or "no". Even if it is not planned right now, we might change our mind in the future. And even if it was planned and already in the works, different circumstances might lead us to drop it, temporarily or permanently. For this reason we prefer to not disclose our future plans and possibly mislead you.
If the vehicle you dream about is not already in game, there are several ways you may get it:
- Patiently wait for further updates of the game, it is possible your desired car/map is released in one of them.
- We have a very talented community creating new cars all the time, so check the mod repository, your car/map might exist already.
- Learn to create the vehicle/map and give it a try. It may take time, but we are always happy to help modders at its subforum. The wiki is the best place to start learning about vehicles and maps.
The cars are hard to control / don't handle realistically / lack grip / have too much grip / etc. What's wrong?
TL;DR: Please take a look at this video for a very rough and simplified overview of how cars handle under and over the limit:
First of all, don't worry, physics realism is one of our top priorities! So we are always open to criticism and are delighted to be proven wrong and corrected, as long as facts and data can be provided as reference: that's the only sane way to improve the physics core calculations and the vehicle setups.
That said, most realism-related complaints can be explained by a lack of speed sensation. If you add the G-forces app to the UI, you can verify cars generate realistic values during cornering, braking and acceleration.
The lack of speed sensation can be explained by any of the following:
- Not using a first person cockpit camera
- Not using an appropriate FOV angle for your screen setup (specially if using a single screen)
- Not managing a consistent framerate above 25FPS (this throttles the physics core down to slow motion, which will be deceiving)
- Not using a good steering wheel with force feedback
- Not feeling the G-forces through your body, nor the vibrations transmitted by the chassis to the seat
- Not being afraid of dying or of repair costs
If cars seem too hard to control, check these possibilities:
- Are the corners in game really as wide as you think they are? Think about the corner radius of up to several kilometers of real life highways where speed limits are 60mph or 120kph
- Do you really drive your real life car as fast through similar corners as in game? (check the speedometer, but remember to always be safe!)
- Does the car have the same driving aids (ABS, TC, ESC) as the car you're used to driving in real life?
- Does the car have the same drivetrain layout? For example, many street cars are FWD and impossible to spin out under throttle.
- Does the car have a similar differential setup as the car you're used to driving in real life? A different differential can make the difference between spinning out at each corner, versus happily smoking the inner wheel without a hint of oversteer.
If, on the contrary, you find cars too easy to control, then maybe you should consider a racing career!
Open the Controls menu from the main or in-game menu (the game controller pad icon), and click the dropdowns to see keybindings. Make sure to also click "Show Advanced" to see more controls.
Otherwise, a full list of controls can be found on the Wiki: Playing
How do I spawn an AI driver?
Refer to Enabling AI Controlled Vehicles to use the AI in-game.
How do I change the color of my vehicles?
Open the Vehicle Configuration Menu with CONTROL+W, then click on the "Color" tab. As of BeamNG.drive 0.5.0, the exterior paint will be the the first of the six color pickers in that tab.
How do I enable force feedback for 'x' racing wheel?
Open the Controls menu from the main or in-game menu (the game controller pad icon), and click the "Force Feedback" tab at the top. Make sure you have your wheel connected, then click "Enable Force Feedback".
For more detailed information, please visit the steering wheel setup page.
I have NVIDIA Optimus, but BeamNG shows that it's using Intel graphics?
The Intel graphics are shown in the options menu but the game is actually using the NVIDIA graphics. To check go to the NVIDIA control panel and press desktop, then press "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area". Check the icon in your tray and it should show that BeamNG is using NVIDIA graphics. If not, make sure you have set up BeamNG to use the NVIDIA graphics in the control panel.
How do I spawn another vehicle that I can crash into?
A tutorial on how to accomplish this can be found on the wiki: Spawning Vehicles (NOTE: The techdemo is limited to 1 vehicle only)
I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?
Open Steam and go to your games library. Right click on the game and select properties, go to the "Local Files" tab and click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." button. Steam will download necessary replacement files if your game is altered or broken.
How do I perform a clean reinstall?
Follow these exact steps:
- Unistall BeamNG from Steam
- Delete BeamNG.Drive folder from MyDocuments (Backup your mods if you want, but do not put them back until you are sure the game is working fine)
- Delete BeamNG.Drive folder from Steam/Steamapp/common (If there is still a folder)
- Reinstall BeamNG
If problem persists, check if it's your mods causing that.
A developer/support contact asked me to submit a 'Support Request'. How do I do that?
See here: A developer asked for a Support ID
I can't view 'x' forum, it says I'm not logged in or don't have permission. How do I get around this?
You need to have special credentials, such as being an administrator or moderator, to view certain areas of the Forums.
The email I used to purchase BeamNG is different than the email on my forum account. How do I upgrade?
Please refer to the following thread on how to resolve this issue and get your forum account upgraded: Email change Problems on Account upgrade
How do I install content I've downloaded from the forum?
Please refer to the following wiki page to learn how to install this content: How to install mods
Does BeamNG.drive have an official Discord server?
No, we do not have any BeamNG.drive Discord server.
'x' is broken, what do I do?
Try removing any mods that may be conflicting with official content. Also delete your cache or your whole Documents\BeamNG.drive folder.
If that doesn't work, then refer to I've edited a game file and I'd like to revert it back?. Usually that will fix any issues. If that doesn't work either, then simply reinstall the game.
I play on a laptop, and the game runs fine for a while before suffering a sudden FPS drop that won't go away until I restart the game. What's wrong?
There is a chance your computer is throttling (slowing down) either your CPU or GPU to prevent them from overheating, or to save on power. First, you can try setting your power usage for the highest possible performance. If that doesn't solve the problem then you can disable throttling due to heat, although the process to do this varies by PC and by doing so you run the risk of damaging your system. Be absolutely sure that your computer is throttling one of your components before proceeding. Check online to see if other people with your model laptop have been able to do this successfully, and proceed with caution.
I already own BeamNG.drive, and plan on upgrading my system/buying a new PC. Will I need to buy a new copy?
No, BeamNG.drive is DRM free. You can install it from Steam as many times as you wish, on as many computers as you like.
What is Lavasoft? Why is the game warning me about it?
Please refer to this page for information: Lavasoft.
How can I change my forum username?
Contact a moderator via Private Conversation, or contact our Support.
Can I monetize my YouTube video about BeamNG.Drive?
Yes! You can create videos about BeamNG.Drive and monetize them.
Have something to add? Check out the FAQ thread...
Couldn't find the answer to your question here? Try...